Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Le Chambon

The story that I was given is about Le Chambon, a small village south of France that took in Jewish refugees. Even though they saved lives, they did not regard themselves as heroes. This showed me that even if you did something heroic, your not a hero, you were just doing the right thing. From reading the article about Le Chambon, I also learnt that your religion is usually part of your choice.
"If we do not work towards developing confidence in our spiritual resources, we will be responsible for producing in due time a world devoid of humanity."
In this quote it shows how religion is part of choice. If we lack faith in religion, we lack confidence, if we lack confidence, we choose out of fear. Many Germans chose to follow Hitler out of fear. Le Chambon's Magda Trocme said;
"There was no decision to make. The issue was: Do you think we are all brothers or not? Do you think it is unjust to in the Jews or not? Then let us try and help!"
Le Chambon had courage that many other villages, cities or countries lacked, historical courage.

1 comment:

  1. I liked how you explained your thoughts about both religion and choices. Although, I have a disagreement to you quote about "This showed me that even if you did something heroic, your not a hero, you were just doing the right thing. From reading the article about Le Chambon, I also learnt that your religion is usually part of your choice." My disagreement is that I dont think that when you dont do something good you are not heroic, because you may not think that you are heroic but there is always someone else that would. I also dont agree that our religion is part of our choices, because its our decisions that make us who we are not our religions. Overall I think that you explained everything very well and it was easy to understand :) Good JOB Julian =P

    ReplyDelete