Friday, May 20, 2011

The End Is Near! RUN!

Freedom? Stress? At the beginning of sixth grade, you have no idea what-so-ever of what that might mean. But as you learn and "pursue" higher education you either have to much Homework and stress, or you have none. Un-fortunately, one day I had forgotten that I had a big assignment due on the next day. I only figured out on the way to school, it was to late. So up-coming sixth graders, I would advise you to be more organized, and to use you planner. Write down your homework in class and check at home.

1. What piece of work and learning are you most proud? Explain.
I believe that my most valued, favorite piece of work was the Ancient Civilizations Diary, about Qiu Yan. Because I had worked hard, and had created so many ideas for the diary. I liked it the most because you could create any character, and you could put in the emotions and feelings you haven't felt before, to imagine what it would be like to be a person from ancient China.
But of course, I didn't complete the diary alone. Radhika added some parts, and edited both the diary's. I chose the background of warfare and the sympathy of losing personal friends. Another reason of why I am proud of this piece is because I learn't herbs that they use traditionally in reality. One that caught my eye was goji berries (it is used to fight against bacteria and fungi). My mum eats it every day! No wonder she is so healthy. I can relate to this character, because I am too, half Chinese.

2. What were your greatest challenges? Explain.
I believe that the most challenging part of sixth grade, was the Literature Circles. I found that Literature Circles always tricked you, somehow. If you ever finished your work quickly, you tend to have spelling errors, and short answers. From that, you will lose points, resulting in a bad grade... Well, its not all about grades, for, most of it is just connecting with your group members, and having a good chat. For example; In the previous Lit Circle, my group and I had long discussions. This led to not finishing some work. It was an enjoyable time, and I believe that that was my best Lit Circle so far.

3. Reflecting on your growth this year, what did you learn about yourself as a learner?
As I said before, I believe that my Ancient Civilizations Diary was one part of sixth grade which showed my growth as a learner. I believe that it shows I have improved my vocab skills, enhanced my SLR use, and grown better with communicating with a group.

4. To evaluate your work habits, choose 1 of the following from each category ( and provide explanations):


a) Behavior

Could be improved
Satisfactory
Perfect - the model student

Explanation: Sometimes, I either chat with friends, or get involved in an argument about work with my members. Which explains why I believe that my behavior can be improved.

b) Participation

None
Satisfactory
Actively participate in class

Explanation: I barely participate in class, I would, but I am to shy to. For a long time this has been my problem, and I hope to fix it.

c) Organization

Needs serious help
Satisfactory
I'm super organized

Explanation: Most of the time I bring what is needed, and occasionally I forget to bring a book for silent reading. Which explains why I wouldn't mark myself "super organized".

d) Effort

Needs serious help
Satisfactory
I always go above and beyond what is required.

Explanation: Most of the time I just do what is needed, and get on with other subjects homework, and sometimes, I put that extra bit of effort, because I either want my grades up, or I have time to spend on it.

5. Based upon your reflections, write two personal learning goals for Grade 7 next year.

Goal 1 - In Grade 7, I plan to
Befriend the teachers, get to know them a little bit more. Meaning I would have a more enjoyable time in class and I would know what the teachers expectations are, so it would be easier to try and meet them.

Goal 2 - In Grade 7, I plan to
Become more active in after school, or during school activities. Most of the time, I tend to sit and listen in a group discussion, I believe I should be more active in a group discussion, and to contribute my ideas. I believe that this also shows that I should put more effort in work that I do, ranging from coloring to writing paragraphs.


6. Is there any more information about yourself that you would like the teachers to know?

I am sometimes shy, and I might have problems voicing my opinion. If I am not active in a group discussion, please remind me to be more active. I also like a good challenge though.


7. Finally, cast your minds back to the first few months of middle school (when you arrived in Grade 6 ) what "Words of Wisdom" or "Advice" could you pass on to the Class of 2018?
Class of 2018.... After pursuing sixth grade, life becomes harder, yet easier. You have time to walk around, talk to friends, have a snack, and collect your things for next class. (Although you may get stuck on opening your locker). But my "words of wisdom" have no connection with the 10 minute breaks you get. So my "Word of Wisdom" Are Practice, Be organized, and don't be afraid to ask. After time you will see how much easier things will get, and sooner you will become the best in the class! You would not struggle, and you will have more free time. (But you should also practice during your free time). If you follow my word of advice, believe me, sixth grade will be the best year of your life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment